Everything You Need to Know about Stomach Cramps
Does your stomach often hurt? One part of people’s body that usually hurts is the stomach. There might be different causes but it is better to know what the real cause is. This way, you know what to do. Since stomach cramps can happen to anyone, it pays to know a thing or two about this. There are different causes, symptoms and treatment. As you read this article, you will know all these things. Again, it is important to take note of everything because stomach pain is not unusual and can happen anytime to anyone.
Having stomach ache can really be a nuisance. Of course, people have life and careers and having sickness can affect the life of a person. If you do not want to experience a lot of hassles and pain, the first thing that you need to do is to get information. By getting information, you can lessen the chance that you will experience having sickness and in this case, stomach pain.
Everything that you need to know about health, stomach ache and the digestive system will be mentioned on this article. Take this as a guide.
Stomach Cramps: An Overview
So, what is stomach cramp? There are different definitions given to this. Here are some of the statements that characterize cramps on the stomach.
- It is said that stomach cramps happen when the lining of the stomach is damaged.
- This can also be caused by too much gas on the digestive system. When this happens, the stomach tends to bloat because the lining stretches. This can also be the cause of flatulence or the process of letting out of gas through the anus.
- Stomach cramps can also be characterized as the pain on the muscles located on the stomach area.
- Cramps are often associated with the menstruation of women too.
- It is also associated with bacterial infections that can damage the digestive lining and tract.
This is a short overview about cramps. It can be defined differently but the point is stomach cramps can give you great pain and discomfort.
What Causes Stomach Cramps
The stomach is connected to different organs and systems in the body. This is why cramps on the stomach can be caused by different reasons. Here are some stomach cramps causes:
- For women, they usually experience pain on the stomach because of menstruation. Women feel cramps before their menstruation up to few days during menstruation.
- If a person is feeling chronic pains and it seems that something sharp pricks the stomach, it can be a sign of serious health problems such as appendicitis.
- When there are stomach pains and pain when urinating or defecating, it can be constipation or urinary tract infection.
- You can experience having stomach pain after drinking alcohol and caffeine too.
- There are stomach pains caused by rigorous activities such as swimming and exercising.
- It can because of diarrhea and constipation.
- Not being able to drink enough fluids or water can cause cramps on stomach.
- Lactose can cause cramps if the person is lactose intolerant. In order to break down lactose, the enzyme lactase is needed. In case of lactose intolerant people, they are lacking this enzyme.
- Eating huge amount of food and eating fast.
- It can be because of allergy. There are people who are allergic to a certain kind of food. There are people who can be allergic to raw vegetables and fruits which are not yet peeled. This is just one example of allergy.
- Stress and lack of rest can be a cause of cramps too.
- Food poison and poison you could get from animal bites can also be causes of cramps.
These are the causes of stomach pain. It is important to know the causes so that you know what stomach cramps cure to use.
The Symptoms of Stomach Cramps
You might be feeling cramps on the stomach but you are not yet aware of it. Or maybe you are just disregarding the symptoms that you are feeling and seeing. Here are the symptoms that can be obvious but most people take for granted.
Loss of appetite- if you can’t eat even though you are hungry and haven’t eaten anything, this can be a sign.
Discomfort on the stomach area.
Bloating- Feeling like your stomach is so heavy and full
Excessive flatulence- Check for the odor too. If your stomach is upset, your flatus has a really bad odor. Farting is normal but it can also be a sign of a sickness.
If you are experiencing the symptoms given above, do not disregard it. You should be aware of your body. If something is wrong, proper action and medication are needed immediately. Depending on the cause symptoms may vary.
What to Expect with Stomach Cramps
As mentioned a while ago, stomach pain can be because of different reasons. If you are feeling cramps, pain and discomfort on your stomach, it could really be bothering and painful. On this part, duration, description of the cramps and the triggering events would be stated. By knowing these things, you will know what to expect from stomach pain and cramps that can attack anytime.
- How long does the pain stay?
Abdominal cramps can just take a few minutes depending on the cause. But it can also last up to several hours. It can also be chronic pain. You can experience stomach pain at this day then it will subside a little later but it can go back the day after. If stomach pain and cramps keep on coming back for several days and week, it can be because of more serious reason. It would be good to consult your doctor right away.
- What kind of pain would you feel?
The pain can be throbbing or you can just feel a little discomfort on your stomach. This all depends on the cause and the food you take. You might feel like something sharp is pricking and stabbing you inside your stomach area. You might also feel like your stomach and its inside is being twisted. There are different kinds of pain and different graveness.
- What events can trigger the cramps?
It can be triggered by different events but mostly after eating. This is because the food that you take is a great determiner here. It can be the root cause. To know when the next stomach cramp event will happen, it would be good to take note of the first time you feel it. Then, keep on keeping a record every time you feel the pain. This way, you will be able to identify what triggers it and you can avoid doing or eating such.
These are the things that you could expect when having stomach cramp and pains. Now that you know what to expect, the next thing that you need to do is to get yourself ready when stomach pain attacks. You should also know what to do to prevent it from attacking. The next parts that you will read will tackle about the prevention and the treatment of stomach pains and cramps.
Preventing Stomach Pains and Cramps
If you are tired of having stomach aches, there are ways on how you could take care of your body. You could do something to lessen the possibility of you getting stomach cramps. Here are the things that you should do:
- Keep your body dehydrated. Make sure to drink water regularly. It’s advisable to drink 8 to 10 glasses of water every day. Lessen your caffeine intake too. Drink coffee and sodas in moderation.
- Keep lactose in moderation. Taking of dairy products and other foods with lactose can cause stomach pains and problems.
- Have enough rest. Doctors are saying that there are stomach pains that are caused by stress. This is why it is good to have enough rest. Get enough sleep at night and make sure to sleep on time.
- Maintaining a healthy diet. By eating the right kinds of food, you can avoid having stomach pains. Watch what you are eating. Check its content and nutrients.
- Take supplements and vitamins. This is to keep your body and whole system healthy and strong.
Ease Stomach Pain with These Steps
Stomach cramps can really be painful. If you want to relieve yourself from pain, here are some steps that you could take to alleviate the pain:
- First thing to do is to locate the area of the pain. This step is really important. You need to be familiar with the areas where cramps usually take place. This way, you know how to treat them and you know if there is a need to bring the situation to a doctor. These cramps can take place anywhere between your pelvis and area under your ribs.
- After identifying, you can start easing the pain that you are feeling through breathing exercise. This is said to be effective for it can displace the pain. Through breathing, you can relax and forget about the pain until it totally wears off. Here, all you need to do is to find a comfortable position. You could sit on a recliner or lie down on the bed. Next, think of something good. Thing about something that makes you happy and relaxed. Then, relax and breathe. Focus on doing it. Start by breathing fast but shallow. When the pain subsides, you could stop doing it. You do not have to do it too much. Overdoing it is not good. After the breathing exercise, you could take a rest.
- he pain might subside a little but you still have to do and watch out for other things. In this case, you need to watch the food that you eat. You need to cut off from food that can upset your stomach further. Eat healthy food and take supplements. Keep yourself away from caffeine, alcohol and carbonated drinks. It is better to just drink water. Also, after you feel the cramps on your stomach, don’t eat for 6 hours. And when you decided to eat again stick with healthy and basic foods such as crackers, fruits like banana and others. Do not eat greasy foods, acidic foods and dairy products like milk, cheese and others.
- Exercise it away. It is good to take a rest but don’t just lie down the whole day. To relieve yourself from the pain, you can take a walk in your lawn or inside the house. But if you are suffering from diarrhea, it is advisable to not go far from the bathroom.
You could try doing yoga too. If you are familiar with yoga positions, it can help you. There are different yoga poses that you could do to relieve you from stomach pains on different parts of the body.
Just remember that if you are experiencing pain on your stomach muscles do not do any abdominal exercise. To be safe, do abdominal exercises when the pain and the cramps already subside.
- Keep your body warm, especially the stomach area. You could take a hot shower to ease the pain and the cramps. Then, wrap your stomach with a warm blanket or vest.
You could also hot-compressed the painful part of your stomach. Get a heated pad or a bottle with hot water. Place it on the area of the cramps. While doing this, lie down on a comfortable place. Put a moist and cool cloth on your forehead. While lying down, close your eyes and relax. Do the breathing exercise. You could also take a short nap if you want. If you are in private, allow yourself to let out some gas. Simply speaking, allow yourself to fart. Let go of stomach pain gas. This will help your stomach.
Stomach Cramps Medications and Treatments
Again, stomach pains can be because of different reasons. There are different treatments and medications for different causes. Here are some of those:
- If you are experiencing stomach pain because of constipation, you could take laxatives. This is to treat your bowel movement.
- Drink peppermint, chamomile and fennel teas and herbs.
- Drink water. Hot water could also help.
Aside from these, there are also home remedies that you could do. All you need is to take a look at the things in your house for some ingredients and you could do everything by yourself. Here are some home remedies that you should try when you experience having stomach cramps.
a.) You need mint juice, limejuice, ginger juice and black salt. Mix 1 tablespoon of the mint juice with the limejuice. Then, add drops of the ginger juice and add a pinch of the salt. After mixing it, drink the juice that you made to ease the pain and the cramps on your stomach.
b.) On this one, you need ginger. All you need to do is to extract the juice from the ginger. Then, apply the juice on the stomach area. Apply it to the area where you feel pain then massage it.
c.) Identify the root cause of your stomach pain. If it is because of acidity, drink a plain soda water. This will save you from the pain that you have due to stomach cramps.
d.) Here is another juice mixture. Just mix 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to water with rock salt. Drink this mixture at least 3 times a day.
e.) To alleviate stomach pain, you could mix ginger juice and castor oil with warm water. You could take this at least 3 times a day and you could get a relief from stomach pain.
These are some of the mixtures and home remedies that you could try doing on your own. Take note of this stomach cramps cure. What’s good about these is that everything is natural. If you want, you could also take supplements and medicines that are made of natural ingredients. There are medicines and herbs that are being sold in the market and on the Internet to cure cramps on the stomach.
Added Tips, Warnings and Facts
- Do not take anti-inflammatory medicines like Ibuprofen, aspirin and the like unless you are sure it is safe and it is prescribe by a doctor. You could only take these medicines if you are sure that the cramps are caused by menstruation.
- Again, do not focus on the pain too much. Just relax.
- Keep a food diary. By doing so, you will not have a hard time remembering what causes stomach pain to you.
- Stomach pains can be cause by more complicated diseases. If you are experiencing chronic stomach pain, you should consult the doctor to see what the real cause of the cramps is. Stomach pains can be a sign of diseases such as Crohn’s disease, appendicitis, stomach ulcer, irritable bowel syndrome, urinary tract infection and a lot more.
- Crohn’s disease- This is also named regional enteritis. This disease is characterized as inflammatory on the digestive tract. It can cause stomach pains, weight loss and vomiting.
- Appendicitis- Here, the appendix part is affected. There is an inflammation on the appendix. This is what causes the cramps on the stomach. To treat this, the inflamed appendix should be removed.
- Ulcer- a huge part of the population has this illness. Ulcer is when the lining of the stomach is destroyed and penetrated by hydrochloric acids.
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) – This is also called spastic colon. This is a disease that greatly affects the bowel movement. Chronic stomach pain, bloating, stomach cramps gas and discomfort can be symptoms.
- Urinary tract infection- This is when bacteria attacks the urinary tract. Stomach pains and can be urinating can be symptoms of this illness.
These are some of the diseases that have stomach cramps as its symptom. So, if you are always having stomach pain, consult a doctor and have a checkup.
Aside from the diseases mentioned above, the cramps can also be a sign of anxiety and disorder. Experts said that there is a connection between the stomach and the brain that causes this. So those people who are suffering from anxiety can feel stomach pain anxiety.
It is said that this kind of pain caused by anxiety can be under the medical category of dyspepsia. This is a pain on the stomach without physical cause. It can be because of excess acid that is in the stomach. It may also lead into a situation called acid reflux.
To treat this, it is better to restrain yourself from stress and anxiety. This way, you could avoid anxiety-caused stomach cramps.
- Don’t abuse yourself by exercising too much. Keep abdominal exercises in moderation.
- Different diseases associated with stomach pain can dehydrate you. So, drink water and take drinks with electrolytes. If not treated, dehydration can even cause death.
- See a doctor if you are having stomach pain for a long time now, if you are feeling nauseous, feverish and if you keep on vomiting. Check your stools too if there is blood.
All the things mentioned are the things that you should always remember and take note of. These things are really important. The things discussed here will help you get ready if the time comes that you will experience stomach cramps, which is not really unlikely.
Always remember to take care of your body. Preventive measures are stated on this article. Follow those to avoid experiencing pains in the stomach. Cramps on the stomach can really affect your life. It can ruin your day, your productivity at home and at work.
For more, advices and treatments, you could consult a doctor. Or if you want, you could check the World Wide Web for added information and treatments. Again, there are lots of providers of natural treatments, medicines and natural remedies out there. All you need to do is to find someone you could trust.